Draper Park Middle School
13133 S. 1300 East, Draper
Groundbreaking: Oct. 9, 2012
Opening Celebration: Aug. 14, 2013
When John R. Park came to Draper in the 1800s as one of the area’s first teachers, he couldn’t have known that more than a century later a middle school would be built in the city and named in his behalf. But when community members considered what to name the first middle school to be built in Draper, they wanted to acknowledge the legacy of Park, who represented a dedication to education and innovation in the tiny farming town. Land for the school, subsequently named Draper Park Middle, had already been purchased back in 1994. A $250 bond approved by voters in 2010 made it possible for the long-awaited school become a reality. The school, with its cutting-edge designs, features an abundance of natural light; a 700-seat state-of-the-art auditorium; expanded cafeteria and kitchen; three academic wings with high-tech classrooms; a gymnasium with two full courts, 12 basketball hoops, two large locker rooms, and an elevated indoor running track; and a fully integrated computer suite and media center with a green-screen TV production studio.